Donning a face mask has become part of our daily routine as we combat Covid-19. We wear masks for walks outside, shopping, even while jogging. For essential workers, face masks are worn continuously on long shifts around the clock. By now we have become familiar with social media images of health care workers with red, irritated faces once they remove their face masks. Even individuals with normally trouble-free skin are finding that wearing a face mask can result in breakouts, redness and rough patches.
Here are some tips on how to maintain healthy skin when wearing a face mask.
- Before you put on a mask, apply a lightweight moisturizer. Allow it to soak into your skin for a few minutes before donning the mask. A good choice is Farmacy DAILY GREENS Oil-free Gel Moisturizer.
- Be sure the mask is snug but not too tight.
- When it is appropriate to remove the mask, rinse you skin with cool water. If it appears irritated or red, apply a light coat of Arnica Gel.
- Avoid using harsh products on your skin when not wearing your mask. This would include many types of bar soaps or scrubs. Hot water can also be irritating and cause dryness.
- When you have a few minutes, apply a cool milk and water compress to any irritated areas and follow with a soothing gentle moisturizer like Cetaphil.